30 September 2010

GOOD.... THEN NOT SO GOOD....

Thursday 30th September

Aircraft: Cessna 172R, ZK-WAM
POB:      4
Altitude: 172' asl (on the ground at HLZ)
Weather: Broken cloud at 2500', wind 010 at 12 knots, QNH 1019 - forecast rain from 1200 local
Well, it didn't look good for a cross country so, instead of taking my 3 passengers (youngest daughter, her boyfriend and his mum) for an expensive coffee somewhere I decided a local flight was in order.  All preflight, passenger briefing, run-up and pre-take off checks done, we had been cleared to the North-East, to line up on 36L (once a couple of landing planes were down), and stay on the runway heading until advised.  So far, so good, and cleared for take off while lining up.

It stayed good for only a few more seconds.  With a heavy plane and the short runway, I elected for a maximum performance take-off, opened the throttle on the brakes and then let go.  It was about 5 seconds into the take-off run when the white noise started.  All I could hear while lifting off was a torrent of static and the very faint voice of the circuit controller talking to other traffic.

No time to do anything at present, I thought, just get the aircraft into a climb, clean up and the reassess the situation.  I carried straight on as cleared but now could barely hear anything over the static.  I levelled off at 1200', closed the throttle to 2300rpm and the radio became a little clearer.  However, the controller could neither hear me, nor detect my transponder (yes, it was on mode C).  With the controller talking and me responding with transmit pulses I got myself onto the Scott departure track and requested a return to land.

With the throttle closed further to about 1900 rpm the radio became clearer and we could now talk to each other.  I had checked all the headsets, circuit breakers and changed radio sets (two radios on WAM) and all had made no difference.  I tried the throttle again and back came the static at anything above 2000 rpm.  Having been cleared right hand downwind for 36R, the approach went well, holding at about 65 knots on final with 4 up to try a precision landing and get off the runway ASAP - there was a fair bit of other traffic about.  That worked well, I stopped with plenty of room to taxi off at "Charlie" and back to the club.

I reported the problem to instructor Peter who went off to take WAM up to assess.  I was offered JGP as that was free but there was no time for another flight.  We all went back to the car just as a few spots of rain started to fall so probably all for the best.

About an hour later I phoned the club and spoke to Peter.  He hadn't got up for a test flight as the weather turned bad pretty soon after we left.  So, no diagnosis as yet but I reckon it must have been interference from the engine as below about 1900 rpm all was fine and above 2100 rpm I could hardly hear the tower and they could neither hear me nor detect the transponder.  Interesting... anyone have a suggestion?

I did get up to fly earlier this week, on Monday with the best weather for some time.  I took the Arrow for a bit of manoeuvring and a few circuits off 25 in a moderate 12 knot or so westerly.  This all went well apart from my first steep turn which was a bit "rusty" but all landings were good.  So, things did go right at least once this week.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting... so it didn't start when you went to full throttle prior to releasing the brakes, but during the take-off role?

    I would have suggested bad/too high squelch on the intercom so all you were hearing was cabin/wind noise transmitting on one of the headset mics (I've had that happen numerous times on take-off roll), but you say the tower couldn't hear you make radio calls and they couldn't see your transponder...

    Did the transponder show up when you throttled back? did you try squawking ident? what code did you have set? I know the towers often mask certain codes (ie. 1200) to prevent clutter, but I assume they would have turned that off to try to find you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAM has a discrete transponder code Jarred so that wouldn't have been a problem.

    My first thought was there was an unshielded connection in one of the headsets, but that would have exposed its existence during the runups.

    Did you squawk 7600 Barry? It seems you handled it very well in any case. I'm fortunate to have not had something similar happen to me but I carry my mobile just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for those comments, guys.
    Euan: Was on the point of squawking 7600 but just then tower asked me to ident so I thought - no point, they can't detect me! I got the backseaters to pull out their headsets and no difference - same for an unplug-plug on mine and frontseater so not headsets. Best guess, having talked to some others, is a loose earth somewhere affecting the suppression from the aircraft engine/electrics (?alternator was one suggestion). Had my mobile which would have been next step if throttling back had not worked. By the way, at 1900rpm, 4-up, half fuel and no flap WAM maintains height at 80 knots!
    Jared: Was probably too busy keeping straight and getting WAM with 4 POB up safely off 36L to notice straight away (had also decided a take-off abort was not on) - from best of memory was OK when I went to full throttle before releasing the brakes. Was squawking 3051 - WAM's discrete code as Euan has said. Fairly sure it was aircraft rather than headset related from the checks I did.
    I'll let you know if I get any more info - phoned club Friday but nil further known.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. As mentionned above, it could be some radio problem, not necessarily resulting from a specific frequency of the engine but more from a noise level.
    I would be surprised if that had anything to do with the headset, but a broken wire somewhere in the radio could result in something similar.
    Tell us when you know more.
    You handled that very well, good decision making.

    ReplyDelete