25 October 2011

TRYING THE NEW "LID"

Sunday 23rd October

This was my chance to try out the new helmet in the Stearman.  I am very pleased to report that it worked extremely well.  Previously in the rear cockpit it was near impossible to hear anything in the soft helmet that comes with the plane (it's just about OK in the front) but now I am hearing everything and all Pete's instruction from the front is crystal clear.
We did about 45 minutes in the Tauranga circuit today which was fun.  To make it a bit more "interesting" there was the NZ Warbirds' Strikemaster doing its own circuits off the sealed runway and zipping around a lot quicker than we were (and burning about three times as many imperial gallons per hour than we were litres - i.e. about 800 litres/h.!!).  No wonder he was at the fuel pumps for a while after a few circuits.

Thanks to the traffic, our circuits were a trifle irregular - early left turns and short approaches seemed to be the norm.  Pete demonstrated a short sideslipping approach on the first short one and let me have a go on the next two.  The Stearman was very steady and, because of the biplane drag, loses height (and speed) pretty rapidly sideslipping with half throttle or less.  I got it pretty much sorted on my second go and was 500' over the golf course which is just right for the Grass 25 circuit.  I was a bit fast but closing the throttle fixes that on the Stearman thanks to that drag.

It was all good and Pete seemed happy and reckoned the helmet made a big difference.  Not having to strain to hear what is being said to me and confident that I can be heard means I can concentrate fully on the flying.  Cool!

I took a few photos......

 
       
The best of the several I took of the Strikemaster - anyone for a ride??

Stearman 03 showing the patched side from the bit of damage inflicted by me a few weeks ago - just needs a paint job now

No comments:

Post a Comment