11 November 2010

MATAMATA BEAT-UP

MONDAY  8TH NOVEMBER


Aircraft:  Cessna 180 ZK-JFG
Position: Downwind leg runway 28 circuit NZMA (Matamata)
Altitude:  600' amsl (400' agl)
POB: 2, self and Roger (CFI)

Wow, what fun!!  Another hour of tailwheel time in the logbook.  Almost an action replay of last Monday but after about five standard circuits at Matamata in ideal conditions, light wind straight down the runway, no cloud and not late enough to have the sun in the eyes on final, Roger decided it was time for some fun!
I was getting the hang of landing, I thought, although still a bit lazy on the rudder and tending to look straight ahead rather than along the cowling while holding off.  Then Roger said, "I have control", demonstrated the perfect take-off attitude, and took an early steepish turn onto downwind at low level.  Abeam the downwind threshold, he cut the power, first and second stages of flap in quick succession, full flap while turning onto a short final for a perfect 3-pointer, showing me exactly how to hold off.  Then it was my turn, Whee!!! - now I know why Ag pilots do what they do.  Not much time to think about it, just looking out, doing most of the checks by feel and, hey, I don't think I did too badly with two three pointers and a wheel landing (not intended, but remembered to keep the column back so we didn't nose over!!).  Then it was back to Hamilton, cleared straight in for 25L and a reasonable landing to finish.  The very last bit wasn't so great, though, I turned too close to the fence, missed the parking stand and had to taxi round again, Whoops!!

Total Tailwheel time 5.1 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment