25 November 2010

DISAPPOINTMENT - THEN A BONUS

Went over to the beach last weekend with a booking on the Stearman for Saturday afternoon but the weather gods were not kind at all.  Drizzle in the morning and, although the rain had stopped by lunchtime, when I turned up at Classic Flyers the cloud was overcast at 300 feet so there was no chance of going up.  At least I got the paperwork done for the share transfer so not totally wasted time.

I got away from work at lunchtime today so, as it was a nice sunny afternoon, decided to get some flying in.  On my way to the club I was very pleasantly surprised to see the Stearman from Classic Flyers on approach to Hamilton.
JGP was free so I took off towards the South-west for a local flight.  The wind had started at 250º at 8 knots on the surface and forecast 160º, 15 knots at 2000 feet.  It seemed a bit stronger and more westerly by the time I was at 2000' on a Pirongia departure as I was getting a fair bit of turbulence when directly East of the mountain (Pirongia, 3144').  Things calmed down a lot once I was South of the mountain and quite smooth over Kawhia Harbour and out to the coast.
Weather was changeable on the coast, nice at Kawhia, but a short distance North the cloud was covering the top of Karioi (2480') with fairly dense haze over the coast reducing visibility locally to about 15Km.  I could hear another aircraft broadcasting he was on track to Raglan from further South so gave a weather call and turned right to head directly back to Hamilton South of Karioi without going to Raglan as it was a lot clearer that way.  The plane behind followed suit and followed me in.  
It was pretty busy at Hamilton this afternoon with lots of radio activity but I was cleared for a North arrival straight away and requested 25 for landing as the wind was now 250, 13 gusting to 20 knots.  At Rukuhia (in line for a right hand downwind) I was instructed to cross the extended centre line and join left hand downwind for 2500' and was only allowed to descend once downwind.  No big deal, I flew a nice (short, as instructed) approach, got a bit of rise on short final but almost closing the throttle fixed that and, crossing the threshold at 65 knots, I did a very smooth, level hold off, column back and a lovely, soft touch down.  Not too bad in the gusty wind.  I was able to taxi off halfway and the controller thanked me as the plane behind was pretty close.

Planes at Club today:

The Stearman, of course.  One of the other shareholders was doing a few flights.
152 ZK-NPN from New Plymouth Aero Club.  They followed me in and I had a brief chat to the instructor at the fuel pumps.  They saw the weather at Raglan and had chosen the clearer route as I had.  Next stop for them, Auckland International.
172 ZK-TAT from Ardmore Flying School (had heard her call at Huntly while I was over Temple View).  Very nervous young female pilot on first solo cross-country who nearly walked across my path while I was taxying.  I had her in sight, was taxying very slowly and my feet were hovering on the brakes.  She saw me and stopped to let me pass.  I went over and had a brief chat - she landed x-wind 18 - brave girl in that wind.  Well done!  Next stop for her, Rotorua
Hope you all had good flights, folks.  And now, some photos;

     Stearman 203, ZK-XAF in the flight line with WIT AND UFS

                                Just love this plane!!

                        Kawhia township on the Harbour

                 The cloud and haze over Karioi and Raglan 
                      - Aotea harbour in middle ground

               Classics together  (ZK-TAT in the background)

No comments:

Post a Comment