28 October 2010

FLYING A LEGEND

LABOUR WEEKEND: 23 - 25 OCTOBER


We, that is, the lovely missus and myself planned on a long weekend at Papamoa.  I had decided to have a bit of fun and had booked a flight in Classic Flyers NZ's Boeing Stearman.  This is a 1942 vintage example, imported into NZ from the US in 1988 and lovingly cared for as the true classic that it is.  The weather was wonderful all weekend making a change from the storms and poor flying weather leading up to the holiday weekend.

So I fronted up at just before 1400 on Saturday and was introduced to Andrew, Classic Flyers CEO and Pete, chief pilot who was to take me up.  Pete showed me around the plane and took me through the preflight and start up procedures and then suggested we might do two flights as he had a booking in their Ag-Cat at 1500.  I wasn't going to object!
The first flight consisted of taxying - always a challenge in a taildragger - run-up, pre-takeoff checks and then onto Grass 25 for takeoff and a 20 minute flight just seaward of the Mount for a few medium turns and then back for approach and landing.  I was in the front cockpit as this was my first time.
My main concerns before the flight were; 1)  how would I cope with an open cockpit, and 2)  coping with a fairly large tailwheel aircraft.  As it turned out these were fairly groundless.  The open cockpit was a bit noisier and draughtier than I am used too but no real bother and the Stearman was a sight easier to fly than the 180 at Waikato Aero Club which I have had a couple of flights in.  Big and slow, sure, but very light and steady on the controls and m y turns seemed pretty good.  Pete talked me through the approach and landing which I seemed to manage fine with a bit of help (hard to know how much help in tandem cockpits).
Then it was off to tell the good lady I would be a bit late, a coffee at the cafe and all aboard again for a quick local and a few circuits.  The wind had got up a bit with about 8-10 knots cross wind from the North (right to left) which made taxying a bit more of a challenge - I managed to do the weaving technique to maintain forward vision OK but swung a bit more than I intended at one point - Pete soon sorted me out.  The circuits went fairly well, a bit lazy on the rudder on the touch-and-goes but otherwise pretty good, and I ended well pleased with my efforts.  Andrew shouted me a beer to finish which went down very nicely, thank you, and then it was home to indulge in another of my interests, cooking dinner.
What a great day!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment