09 January 2012

HAPPY 2012 TO ALL

First post of the New Year.  I haven't had much to write about since the last post nearly four weeks ago mainly due to the rubbish weather for early Summer here!  I have been up a couple of times, though:

Tuesday 27th December

The usual birthday fly.  I took eldest daughter (who loves going up) over to Tauranga to find the Avgas cafe closed but did get to see the Strikemaster doing a few circuits.  When we departed we had a short pause to watch it doing an overshoot (was meant to be a touch and go - not sure what went wrong, if anything) and I forgot that 07 was the duty runway (well, it is almost always 25) and started off towards the 25 end.  The tower called to "remind" me and gave me a hold on the main apron to run up (there was hardly any traffic) and to cross and line up on the seal.  I could hear the Strikemaster radio call for a full stop and could see them turning base.  Not wanting then to waste too much Jet A1 I did my line up checks while taxiing and pushed the throttle forward as soon as I was straight on the seal.  A lightly laden WIT took off quite briskly and the jet crew made a call thanking me for getting out of their way!  Thanks, guys.

You can check out Eleanor's video (edited by me) here:




Monday 2nd January 2012

First fly of the new year and up for a few circuits in the Stearman.  Nearly 2 months since my last flight in the biplane and I was a touch rusty but better than I had feared.  I did about 8 circuits and, mostly, the landings were pretty good.  One was rather poor with a bit of a swing left and right after landing and a wobbly take off.  Never mind - it's a good excuse to go up again and try to get it right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment