08 November 2011

SIX OF THE BEST (WELL, ALMOST)

Tuesday 8th November

In spite of clear skies forecast by Jim Hickey last night on the 6 o'clock news it was rather cool and cloudy at the airport today as I "unwrapped" Archer III, "WIT" to go fly.  Given the cloud, I decided that some circuits would be the total of the day's entertainment with the challenge to be as "perfect' as possible.  As at Tauranga last Sunday there was enough wind to make it a little challenging, the windsock positions somewhat variable around the field.

So, it was six circuits off 18, taking off on 18R (the little, short one), five touch and goes on 18L (the big, long one) and final landing on 18R.  The first circuit was all pretty good but I elected to use full flap (the windsock appeared to be straight down the runway when I was on early final) so was a tad slow over the threshold and was moved off the centreline by the wind (which was definitely right to left at this point).  Second circuit was fine until the flare and throttle close; I bounced, but sorted it out straight away with a bit of throttle and nose lowered a touch and the second touchdown was smooth and straight (wouldn't have worked so well in a Cessna, I reckon).  

Next lap - flapless approach; I kept a shallow approach profile and a smooth landing after 75 knots over the threshold despite a bit of a struggle to get the speed down whilst on base and final.  Fourth circuit, a glide approach; very happy with this, I was looking a bit low at one point but easily made the runway, even needing a bit of flap to touch at my mental "point".  Two "normal" circuits to finish, the last right hand for 18R so it was an attempted precision landing.  This was the least satisfactory; in my attempt to be as close to the threshold as possible I kept a bit more power on than I needed and, with only 2 notches of flap because of the crosswind, I drifted along a wee bit before touching down but, at least I was on the seal, straight, right wing down a bit into the wind, and easily stopped with a bit of brake in about 2/3 of the length.
So, very happy with my efforts, I taxied back to shut down and think about lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment