06 June 2011

JUMPING THROUGH THE HOOPS

What does this title mean?  The MEDICAL of course.
My last medical expired 26 May and I had an appointment on 16 May to have it here in Hamilton.  As there is no local AMA (Air Medical Assessor), I go to an Occupational Medicine practitioner who is a DME (Designated Medical Examiner), who then sends my results up to Auckland to an AMA to "rubber stamp it.  Don't you just LOVE the bureaucracy!!!  Actually, having to deal with ACC occasionally as part of my work the CAA are pussy cats by comparison!
So, off for the medical, present myself, off down the road to the medical centre about 100 metres away for an ECG, hang around for another 45 minutes as, "He's running late", pee into a pot, have my distance vision checked with and without my specs, and then in to see the doc (probably less intimidating than average for me as I am a medic myself but still a bit nerve-wracking as I love my flying and not ready to give it up yet!).  
Then, an hour later, blood pressure acceptable, ECG fine (no change - I have a minor conduction delay which is considered a "normal variant", i.e.:- nothing to worry about), and no other issues (my eyesight in the right eye has deteriorated slightly in the past two years but vision with glasses unchanged - should be as my prescription has not changed for 4 years).  So, just over 400 dollars later (doctor's fee, ECG, cardiologist sign-off on the ECG, AMA's fee) my results are on their way up North and the waiting game begins.
And quite a waiting game.... 17 days later, I check up that everything has been sent, etc. (because by now, I am a week over and not legal to fly) and, yes, they say, they will check it and give me a call.
Of course, I don't get any call, but, when I arrive home from work the very next day there is a letter from Auckland with my new medical certificate and I am all good to go for another two years (as long as I have my BP monitored by my GP and have an ECG next year).  HOORAY!!!!  Fingers crossed for the weather now.
Sorry this isn't an active flying post but it is relevant to General Aviation.   Any comments on any blog readers medical experiences welcome.  Personally, I think it is money well spent if you are addicted to flying as much as I am - there are worse vices, I reckon.

No comments:

Post a Comment