15 March 2011

UP IN A CUB

Sunday 13th March

Over for an overnighter at Papamoa (lawns need doing once a fortnight at present but it's getting cooler) and off to Classic Flyers again.  I was expecting to go up in the Stearman but Pete had a surprise for me.  He was taking me up in the PA-18 Super Cub that Classic Flyers use.  He thought it would be easier on me than the Stearman and get me into the groove of tailwheel aircraft more easily.

The Cub is dressed up in US Army colours (didn't bring the camera but will do next time) and looks the part of an Army counter-insurgency or FAC type.  It was great fun to fly.  With the light all-up-weight of around 750Kg and the 150hp engine it performs pretty sprightly, taking off in about 200 metres at 45mph (ASI is mph not knots) with no flap and climbs at a good 500fpm at 65mph.  We initially asked and were given clearance to operate over Matakana Island but on the climb out I noticed there was low cloud and a bit of fog over the forested island (the Mount and the beach to the East was clear all the way to Maketu and beyond - could see Mount Edgecombe).  We asked the tower for a new clearance into the Papamoa sector, were given that, 2500' or below, and continued our climbing right hand turn over to main beach and headed just seaward of the coast until out of the control zone and then turned inland over some flat farmland where Pete got me to do a series of 360ยบ turns - all acceptable - and then basic and power-&-flap stalls.  I lost height on the entry to the basic stall but recovered at the onset (preceded by a fair amount of buffet) without significant height loss.  I was very patient (find that hard!!) with the flap stall (takes ages and speed down to about 35mph before onset), maintained height better and recovered with no major height loss.

Well, I reckoned that was all pretty good, so after a clearance back in for circuits, we headed West seaward of the beach turning on a long final for 25 at the appropriate point.  This little bird lands real slow with full flap, about 60mph over the threshold and probably 50 or less on touchdown.  That was all fine and I kept straight while slowing down but then the bit of trouble started.  As I reached down to drop the lever to raise the flaps my hand dragged my headset lead over the bar and the dropping flap lever then tried to pull my headset off.  My head went down to the left and with it my rudder control.  We headed off to the right, Pete gave a "What's he up to" gasp from the back, took control, got us off the ground and handed back to me while I explained what had happened.  Two lessons here; i) make sure my headset lead is clipped securely, and ii) fly the airplane first and foremost - a taildragger should be considered to be flying until parked.

I flew the next circuit OK but Pete's next flight was due, so I called for a full stop, was given a short approach instruction which Pete talked me through and, with only a little help, I managed an acceptable touchdown and taxi off, so quite pleased with that. Action replay in two weeks, weather permitting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment