17 May 2010

NIGHT RATING RESURRECTION

MONDAY 10th MAY

With the weather getting cooler, although still very mild and up to 21C during the day this past week, the clocks have gone back, the evenings are drawing in and time to get up for a bit of night flying.  I hadn't done any night flying for eight months so thought it about time to "resurrect" the old night rating.
I had booked one of the club's Robins (or Alphas if you prefer) with instructor Loreen for, hopefully, a few dual circuits and then some solo to get me current again.  Loreen asked me about currency (by day) on the Robin and I had to confess I was out having not flown one for quite a while.  However, I do have more hours on them than any other type and reckoned it should not be a problem.
So it turned out.  The preflight and taxi out were no problem and we lined up on 36R for takeoff.  There were two others in the circuit but one was coming to land and the other heading out over the city and we had the circuit to ourselves for a while.  The first takeoff wasn't so good.  There was a 5Kt or so crosswind from the East which I didn't allow for and we ended up rather off the centreline on the climbout.  Never mind, concentrate on the instruments, lookout, upwind checks and onto crosswind leg, downwind, call the tower and set up for the approach. This went really well, height and speeds good and it was a near perfect night landing, holding off just right with the lights and closing the throttle as the wheels touched.  I was impressed - not sure about Loreen but she said it was OK.  I kept it pretty much dead on the centreline on upwind this time, so that was better.  Another touch and go, this time with the lights off and flapless which also went well.  I remebered to get my torch on straight away (I recommend a head torch as long as it is not too bright - saves fumbling for a hand held torch). On this circuit ATC went off watch so we were on unattended procedures.  Like a country airstrip, but with a 2000m+ sealed runway and lights!!
We had to extend downwind behind a landing Beech 1200 (twin turboprop) on the next circuit and Loreen said make this a full stop.  "Pop" went the light bulb in my brain - OK to go on my own - then Loreen added the rider, if this landing is OK!  
It was, we taxied back to the club where Loreen hopped out to take the next person up and I was on my own.  As I lined up for the first solo circuit I heard a helicopter over City call in that he was joining the circuit.  I saw his lights and he was at least five miles away so I made a call and took off into the circuit.  As I was doing the downwind checks I heard the chopper call he was joining "behind the fixed-wing" (as if I was a lower form of life, almost - cheek!!!).  
Well I landed and went again OK and the chopper did a stop and go and started a right hand circuit.  This time he went for an autorotation (at night - not me, thanks) behind me just as I was doing my next touch and go.  I made this third solo circuit the last as it was kind of late and called as I turned base that I "have rotary-wing traffic in sight".  Slightly bumpy final landing - not as smooth as the other five, but acceptable and I was a very happy pilot.  Loreen was on her way out with her next "student" and called goodnight to me which I called back with a thank you.
A good night and the rating current again.  Next step - get checked out in a 172 at night.  Almost went up on the Thursday but the aircraft was in maintenance - shucks.  Next week maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment