26 March 2010

TRAFFIC CONGESTION - NOT JUST THE ROADS!

THURSDAY 25TH MARCH

I had the Arrow, DQV, booked for a couple of hours this morning for a bit of "keeping current" (you know, like remembering to retract and lower the undercarriage!!!).  The weather forecast was none too good last night but, after an overnight shower, the day dawned clear enough and there were numerous balloons up after dawn as this the "Balloons Over Waikato" week.  They were all gone by 1000, though when I drove over to the Club to drag DQV out of its hangar and go off for a flight.
The weather was behaving as predicted with a front on its way and nasty, dark grey clouds to the South-West.  I decided a local flight over the city would be a good plan followed by some circuits.  After preflighting and starting up I got the ATIS to find there was a 15 knot crosswind from the West on 18 which was no real problem for take-off but might be for landing if it got up any more and I couldn't use the cross runways (07/25, L&R - yes, we have four runways at Hamilton).
After running up and pre-take-off checks I was cleared to taxi to E2 holding point and while still on my way cleared to take off from 18L - with another aircraft on final.  So it was line up checks (transponder to mode C and landing light on) while taxying, onto the runway and full throttle, column into the wind, of course and rotating at 65 knots.  Wow, a fair bit of wind, too, as I started to drift to the left immediately after lift off in spite of my best efforts on the rudder.  I got it sorted pretty smartly, though, wheels up, fuel pump and landing light off, flaps up and climbing power and pitch set all at the appropriate times and turned right as cleared out to the North over the city.
After clearing the zone I climbed to 2000 feet and headed towards the North and had a good look around.  Oooh, those clouds are closing in pretty quickly and it looks like it is raining already just South of the airport so I decided to head for home, turning South for Temple View and checking the ATIS which hadn't changed (yet!).  I called in to the tower requesting a return for circuits if available, to which the tower replied to clear me for circuits "seeing as you are a nice, polite guy", or words to that effect.  Gosh, thanks folks, please spare my blushes.  After getting said clearance, I headed for the reporting point at Rukuhia and, once there, was instructed to join right hand downwind for 25R - hooray!, landing into the wind (which was 250ยบ at 15 knots).  I was told to maintain 1700' and extend downwind as, with the weather deteriorating, everyone was coming back in.  I could hear at least 3 other light aircraft being instructed to join for the 25 runways.
By the time I was cleared to descend to circuit height, I had been going downwind for at least two minutes (which meant 3 miles at 90 knots - I had slowed down a bit and got the wheels down) and was further instructed not to turn base for another 30 seconds to allow another plane to pass behind.  I sorted that out and was soon on a fairly long (at least 4 mile) final.  I was given number one for 25R for touch and go and at that point a CTC Katana appeared on my 2 o'clock.  This was a touch unexpected as I had heard the tower call to a CTC plane to join BEHIND me.  Whooops!
The tower called in an rather terse voice to inform said Katana that he had just cut in front of me and called me to give me number two in a more apologetic voice.  I replied I had the conflicting traffic in sight as well as a Cessna who was doing as instructed and joining behind.  Now a Diamond DA20 Katana is a fairly low powered trainer and, compared to a Cherokee Arrow, a tad on the slow side and I was now behind him.  I slowed down as much as I could while still looking after the engine and dropped another notch of flap.  It wasn't enough, I was still closing at 70 knots and the tower asked me if I could change to 25L, that was affirmative and I changed course for the parallel runway.  
The Katana touched and went just before I crossed the threshold beside him.  I touched down nicely, pushed the throttle and pitch lever fully forward (yes, I missed that check on final because of the diversion, I think), and took off not too far behind the other plane.  He was told to carry on straight ahead and I was given an early left turn for a circuit.  I could hear there was another Katana joining for the circuit and another Cessna was above and to the right, I think joining right hand downwind.
The rain had now started so I called for a full stop, flew a nice tight circuit and got the speeds and checks all nicely done for (I thought) a very pretty landing just beyond the runway threshold and taxied off back to the fuel pumps.  I was pretty cross about being cut up like that but didn't think it worth any further action.  The circuit controller in the tower had sounded pretty pissed when talking to the CTC pilot so any further action is up to them, I reckon.
At least I didn't get too wet refuelling and by the time I set off home the weather had improved a bit so maybe I should have done another circuit or two.  Never mind, there is always another day!!  I got home to find I still had the aircraft keys in my pocket.  Oh dear, what a twit!  Only 10 minutes to drive back though so big major deal - at least they got back before anyone else needed them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment