24 February 2010

MORE ON THE CURRENCY FACTOR

Thursday 4th February - Back in a 172 after a year!
I am writing this over two weeks later so my memory may not be 100% accurate but I can remember the flying part pretty well.  I had booked the club's newer 172, WAM (my previous favourite before WIT came along) with instructor, Chee, who I had flown with once before in one of the older Archers.  I had a good look round inside and out while preflighting to refamiliarise myself with the plane.  It all came back - including the thirteen fuel drain points for the fuel injected engine!
We decided to do a few circuits to see how it went.  Stating up, taxying, lining up and take off went OK - WOW!! the 180hp 172 does take off a lot more sharply than the Archer but I was prepared for that.  No problems in the circuit but the landing was not that great - not nearly enough of a flare (the low-wing influence, I think).
About 6 circuits later, after a couple of go-arounds and an engine failure after take-off exercise, Chee seemed pretty happy BUT the plane was due at Aeromotive for maintanence and there was no time for me to go solo - RATS.
Never mind, I've booked WAM again in a few weeks to go up with chief instructor, Roger, for a final "tidy-up" and, hopefully, some solo practice.  Then I should feel current on 172s again.

No comments:

Post a Comment