13 November 2009

ARROW TYPE RATING COMPLETE!!

THURSDAY 12th NOVEMBER
What a fabulous day. Light wind, no significant cloud - AT LAST!!
So, it was with a light and happy heart I set out on the 10 minute or so drive to the club. Well, that was the first, and only, mishap of the day. For some reason best known to Hamilton City/Waikato regional council and/or Land transport, a fair bit of Narrows Road was being dug up. The metal surface they had left down was pretty rough to say the least and I think I picked up half the road under the wheel arches (and that was at 20kph or slower). Hey guys, not all of us driving these roads are farmers or "lifestyle-blockies" in utes or 4-wheel drives. Not all vehicles using rural roads have 5' of ground clearance, people!!
I finally got to the club leaving bits of road metal on SH3 each time I touched the brakes. I went off to get DQV ready to go while Roger went to rustle up som "ballast" for the maximum weight check flight. The "ballast" turned up in the shape of Peter, one the of the club CPLs (and recently qualified C-cat instructor). A fair bit of ballast this (sorry, Peter) as he is about the size of a rugby lock!
Peter folded himself up in the back, Roger and I jumped in and we were off. I decided on a Scott departure and we headed out over Scotsmans Valley for the usual turns, stalls and a forced landing. All went well until the forced landing where I was getting myself set up nicely for my chosen paddock when a klaxon sounded and the gear came down - the emergency gear extension had kicked in! While Roger reminded me about the override for that piece of "safety" equipment I became a bit distracted and ended up too far away from my chosen field. Fortunately there was a nearer paddock to approach so that was OK. We went around and headed for home. Peter had hardly said a word, so Roger asked if he was still awake to which he replied, "Yea, all good thanks". An ideal passenger! Thanks, Pete.
Back in the circuit for a few "laps" dual and then Roger and Peter hopped out and I did a few on my own. My first landing was pretty near perfect but the next two weren't that great but never mind; if "any landing you walk away from is a good landing" then "any landing you walk away from with a totally intact aeroplane" must be a great landing, yes??
Well, it was all good anyway, and, a bit of paperwork later, I had my type rating for the PA28 - 200 (Piper Cherokee Arrow) in the logbook - YAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment