17 September 2009

IT'S A MIRACLE! - ON MY OWN IN THE CIRCUIT!!!

Thursday morning again and time to go flying. I had booked Archer II, "UFS", as I thought it would be good to get some hours in an "older technology" plane having done nearly all my recent flying in the new and "flashy" Archer III, "WIT".
The weather wasn't too flash with a cloud base of 1700'agl so I decided some circuits were in order. In spite of the "official" opening of the new 18L/36R runway yesterday work is still in progress and I was expecting the usual queue. Not to be, however; I could see no-one in the cicuit and, after all the usual checks, I was cleared to not only line up but also to take off! No queue or delay - amazing! I guess the weather was keeping many at home.
I flew six circuits, including three glide approaches and was "number one" on three of them - pretty amazing considering the congestion there has been of late. And it wasn't even first thing in the morning either (1030). I had to do one orbit but that appeared to be for wake turbulence separation more than anything else.
I found adapting "back" to all analogue instruments, older type radios and less automation happened very smoothly and after the first circuit went really well, getting the speeds and height OK on approach, glide approach practice would be good. I was cleared for a glide on the next three circuits and did quite well. The glide speed was right on all three and I made the runway successfully without having to "cheat" with a bit of throttle just to get me there. I did drift a bit to the right on one of them - have to watch that more carefully one the new runway is operational!! My second to last landing was the worst - flared a bit too early and down with a bump; in front of a Beech and our own JGP waiting. That's just typical, the worst in front of an audience!!
Pretty happy at the end of all that and finished after the sixth circuit. Back to the clubhouse where I saw instructor, Marie and asked her thoughts on the prospects for night circuits this evening which looked pretty bleak. She said that I'd get a call if it was on. That looked a remote possibility, so it was much to my very pleasant surprise that I got a call at 7pm to say I was on to go up with Marie at 7.30. Great stuff! So, after a bit of a delay because of congestion we got into the circuit and after three dual, Marie hopped out and I did four laps on my own. ATC were "off watch" by now and there were only two planes in the circuit now so it was pretty relaxed and good fun. By the time I was on the last finals Marie and Loreen were back in the circuit with other "students" so, quite unusually, it was an all "Waikato Aero Club" circuit.
Up twice in one day - FANTASTIC!!

No comments:

Post a Comment